Along the way I did have to stop with increasing frequency, and Rick made me eat hammer gel, which tasted like over-sweet apple pie filling. It was gagging, but just what I needed. Somehow, amazingly, I made it!! At the top, a professional photographer took our photo and said, "Alors! I have been waiting for you!" (oh my, I thought, I'm so pitiful looking, dragging myself up this hill) But no, "Your friends are waiting for you at the restaurant!" We were easy to point out because Rick, Sophie and I were all wearing the same Cotingac jersey that she had given us in the States.
At the top we realized Rick's brakes had been rubbing much of the way up! Poor guy.
After a quick snack and a stop at the souvenier store for a t-shirt for Rick and a new jersey for me (yeay!) it was DOWN the other side toward Malaucene. Well, I've never climbed a mountain like Ventoux, so I've never ridden a downhill like that. Wow. We took it easy, but still really flew, not having to worry about gravel on the turns since the Tour was coming soon and they keep these roads swept daily anyway for this very reason. Now that was fun!
Over lunch in Malaucene, Bob told me Sophie had gotten stuck behind a slow car that kept drifting over the road and blocking Sophie who wanted to pass the car. (Bikes do descend faster than vehicles.) Finally Sophie got up to her window and, still screaming down the mountain, explained the rules of the road to the lady! That's our girl!
Today we just rode a short loop through Provence, stopping first at Entrecasteau to meet Bernard for a cup of coffee (which in his case was a glass of rose.) Bernard would have been riding with us, but was in a car accident a couple of weeks ago and has some broken ribs. He drove his car over from Cotignac, but had his bike in the back seat.
Bernard and his 1936 Citroen. One of his favorites.
Typical scenery around Carces.
Tomorrow the plan is to see the Gorges du Verdun. This is considered the "Grand Canyon" of France. The stronger riders will leave from Sophie's, but probably us other girls will drive closer before we start riding. More after that!
3 comments:
Rick, congratulations for conquering Mt. Ventoux. Eat / drink plenty of good food and wine. You will be in great shape for L-E-L. I'll see you at the start. Mark R.
Barbara and Rick, I am enjoying the account of your trip - congratulations Barbara on the hill ascent - wow! I will check in often to hear of your adventures.
Darlene
Barbara, I am so proud of you! WOW. You are an amazing woman ... congrats on Mount Ventoux. I'll have to make that a goal now :)
Just caught up on your travels after returning myself from the US East coast. Been thinking of you! Hope all is well ... I'll check back more frequently now. Heading to Bend tomorrow for the weekend to do the Tour des Chutes bike ride. Hugs to you both! Tammy
Post a Comment