With a few hours more to wait, we headed off into the hills to check out the route. So pretty! They must sell a billion dollars worth of geraniums and petunias in France. Every shop and hotel has at least a dozen window boxes or hanging baskets filled with them. Some have more than twenty! People ask me if France is really that different than the US and I usually say it's the "oldness" of it that attracts me, the history. But, after these last few days in the Alpes, I think I must say, I've not seen this MUCH grandeur; breathtaking, awe-inspiring, sweeping, expansive views around every bend. It is worth the trip.
The bags did arrive, bristling with airport tags (where on earth had they been?) and we spent until late in the night getting Rick ready to go. He was so tired that night, he didn't even hear the storm come in so was quite surprised to see the rain... 

And it rained. By the time I packed up and left it was raining, thunder and lightening were almost constant, roads in Thonon were flooding and creeks were washing rocks and mud accross the roads. Rick called and was having a nice lunch and had not yet been hit with the brunt of it. Not to worry. It found him. His brakes were useless, he actually walked ten killometers downhill! Scraped up his shoes pretty badly skidding along. His arms ached from squeezing the brake levers. I could hardly see to drive.
I took this shot from the car in a parking lot where I'd pulled over to rest my grip!
I took this shot from the car in a parking lot where I'd pulled over to rest my grip! But day one was finally over and he arrived in the little ski village of Notre Dame de Bellecombe. He keeps looking at his ride sheet and saying, "how many days do I have to do this?" Eric, you'll love how many times people have asked him why does he want to go this way, when there's a perfectly nice easier road over there that goes to the same place?!
Day two was the road to Tignes, one of the tougher days on the Tour de France this year. But beautiful! 
I saw a group of what I think were Ibex (mountain goats with big horns like a unicorn, but two of them!) but was on a curvy road (surprise) with no place to stop and take a picture. Weather now is back to gorgeous and Rick is off on another day. Tonight we'll be in Italy, near Torino, then back to France tomorrow again.

I saw a group of what I think were Ibex (mountain goats with big horns like a unicorn, but two of them!) but was on a curvy road (surprise) with no place to stop and take a picture. Weather now is back to gorgeous and Rick is off on another day. Tonight we'll be in Italy, near Torino, then back to France tomorrow again. 
No comments:
Post a Comment