Saturday, August 27, 2011

What's Next?

PBP done, Rick napped for a couple of hours while I ran into town to drop off the drop bags at the Hotel Campanile and to meet Chris Ragsdale to sign him up on our rental car plan so he could drive up to Calais where his support crew had left his passport. They had inadvertently taken it with them when they headed home after PBP. Once he was off on his journey I rode my bike back to the hotel, where Rick was awake so we rode back in to the finish to congratulate and compare stories. This is the best part of these rides!


Then it was Friday and time to move on to the next stage of our adventure. Unfortunately the day began with a call from our friend Bob, who was to accompany us to the Dolomites. He needed to head home as his mother-in-law’s health took a turn for the worse. We will miss him at every turn as we have been planning this trip together for a year, but understand completely. Thinking of you, Lisa.


300 sleepy kilometers later, Jane, the voice on our GPS, says we have arrived at our destination. Obviously still fatigued from PBP, we gratefully shlep our overnight bags up the steps. It is only 3:30 but we are SO ready for a nap. Alas, a sign on the door says it opens at 4 pm. hmmmm....


Somewhere between 4 and 4:30 the door opens and we are able to check in. It is clear we are in the countryside now as the receptionist offers up not a single word of English and speaks as though she is afraid to show her teeth. I am fuzzy from lack of sleep and spoiled by the mostly English speaking people we have been speaking with so far so our exchange is not easy. Eventually I am able to explain that our friend was not able to come with us, so even though we have reservations for two rooms, we will really only need the one. Our cancelation policy said it was too late to cancel but she only charged us for the one room. Yeay!


It rains, it pours, the lightning flashes, the thunder rolls. I have a lovely walk through the 15th century walled village of Langres. I don’t dare take my camera out of the heavy back pack I have put it in for fear of ruining it in the downpour. I pour water out of my shoes when I get back to the hotel.


But this morning the rain has stopped and I get a second chance at a few pics and a pain de raisins. It was cold and gray, but now the sun is trying to burn off the clouds. whew. Thought we had stumbled into a time warp and it was October or something!


On to Germany today.


Listening to Rick’s Ipad which has a couple of albums on it. The MC says, “and now ladies and gentlemen, Bettye LaVette!” and Jane says, “In 400 meters, keep left.”


Passing by Luxiel les Bains, missing Bob.


Moisture in my camera from my walk in the rain last night. Rick says, where is the moisture? I say, well how would I know? somewhere between the glass here and the viewfinder here... Rick says, can you unscrew this filter here? Well yes.... et voila, clear view. moisture between the lens and the filter. Might have to keep this guy around...


Germany. I can’t pronounce the words I see, nor understand the prices of things at the counter. It will be a bit better in Italy, but I miss my French! Holiday Inn looks clean and modern, and there is a free concert outside the lobby at 8 pm by an Abba cover band. I’m thinking we might as well go. Gonna be loud anyway!


It’s very green here. All you folks back home know what that means.... rains a lot! Hoping the Dolomites will be a bit drier. Pics from Face book below.


http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.268921379785394.77552.100000026025290&l=6100e95c31&type=1


http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.272630432747822.78214.100000026025290&l=75a5af6470&type=1

No comments: